Academic Life

What should I know about the academic life in the United States? Some important things you should keep in mind are: Pursuing a graduate degree might be comparable to a full-time job; performing extracurricular activities is highly recommended; the social life in the U.S. might be different; but keeping a good relationships with faculty members is critical for your academic and professional future (U.S. News, 2014).

Starting your academic life in a new country will require doing academic and non-academic paperwork, and identifying professional opportunities. We will help you in making your immersion process an easy and successful experience.

Stage 4

Once at the university, you will probably need to: define a plan of study, get involved in activities of professional development, start to think about future jobs, and deal with legal paperwork outside the university.

How can we help you out?
Join us in sessions to talk about your academic life. We will provide you with effective guidance to make the most out of your academic life. We can help with:

Academic programs usually have core, concentration and elective courses. You will need to define a plan of study that not only meets mandatory requirements, but also aligns to your professional goals.
While making progress in your studies, it is highly recommended to work in improving your resume. This can be done by: getting involved with professional organizations, attending conferences, publishing research papers, and participating in outreach programs, among others.
Studying abroad can be expensive. Identifying opportunities for financial aid, as for example, teaching or research assistanships, can help to both reducing your educational expenses and adding work experience to your resume.
Universities usually allow students to do internships or work during Summer/Winter breaks. It is important for you to be aware of available job opportunities and required paperwork (e.g., Curricular/Optional Practical training - CPT/OPT in the United States).
International students would need to renew their student visa or request a work visa, among other legal documents.
International students also need to do other types of paperwork, for example: filing taxes, identification documents (Social Security Number in the United States, and a driver’s license), opening a bank account, and building a credit history, among others.